AP reports the House on Thursday approved the governor’s proposed $35.7 million income tax cut for high-earning individuals and businesses, pushing Idahoans another step closer to having more cash in their pockets at the end of the year. The measure now heads to the Senate.

The 49-20 vote in the House came amid objections from all Democrats and seven Republicans, some of whom said tax relief was a good idea but not when Idaho’s economy is just coming off the deep recession.

 

The bill would give relief to about 17 percent of Idaho’s taxpayers. The remaining 83 percent wouldn’t see any more money under the bill.

Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter made the tax cut a priority in his Jan. 9 State of the State speech, urging that at least a portion of Idaho revenue surplus be directed to tax relief rather than moves such as reversing cuts to Medicaid.

Comments are closed.